Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Comment on a colleague’s work #2

In Big Tex Rules' post, Its a Bow`t Time, they discussed how as of March 18th Austins City Council member unanimously voted to pass a no kill plan for its Town lake Animal Shelter downtown. This is my response to what they had to say:

I'm glad to hear that Austin is instating a no kill plan. It's good that they're easing into it, things like this take time. They need to be able to account for additional space and money the need to take care of these animals. I had no idea Austin was taking an average of 8,873 animals' lives each year. I'm not an animal person at all, I actually like animals to stay as far away from me as possible and that still bothers me. I just hope this plan works out. "Animals are innocent and deserve to live." You absolutely right, just because they are animals doesn't mean that we have the right to kill them, if they were humans this would most certainly not be happening.

As for you suggestion of a requirement that all first time pet owners take a class, I think it's asking a little too much. It wouldn't be possible to make sure everyone take such a class and you have to remember that some pet owners get their first pet from people selling puppies and kittens in cars in parking lots. It's a nice idea but I don't see it happening. The good thing is that there is unlimited of information online. First time owners can get advice and learn anything they need on the computer. Things are starting to look up for these shelter animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment